We all know Thailand is known for a tourist destination. However Thailand produces several items present in our stores. In this article I will give you an overview of Thai market and potential risks during the production of your goods or your factory sourcing in Thailand. Finally we will see the different solutions to solve these problems.
What are the kind of products made in Thailand?
Thailand produces (more especially in Bangkok, Khon Kaen and Chiangmai) different goods like:
- Sports articles (sport t-shirt)
- Electronic products (hard drive)
- Food products (fruits, rice)
- Wooden toys
However manufacturing are not without risk in a fast changing country and where the suppliers are not always honest.
Quality control in Thailand: avoid manufacturing risks in Thailand
When you produce in Thailand and more especially in Bangkok, Khon Kaen and Chiangmai, there are two major major step where you could face issues:
- During your sourcing: when you make your sourcing in Thailand, several future “suppliers” will tell you they will have the capacity to produce your goods, and assure you they actually have the right certifications. However, fake certifications are current. Secondly, you may find during your sourcing in Thailand some companies pretending to be factories, and turn out to be intermediate, taking their commission.
- During and after the production of your goods: Like most of Asian countries, payroll turnover is very high. One of the consequence so the quality of your products could be fluctuating. Indeed, when your order for the first time, the quality of your goods is impeccable however when you order a second time you begin to receive more defective products. These defaults could come from raw materials, the production or the logistic chain (weather factor, thefts between the production area and the port of loading, …).
To avoid all these problems, we recommend to make a quality control including an audit and quality inspections.
How to make a quality control in Thailand and more especially in Bangkok, Khon Kaen and Chiangmai
Here is a Checklist of what you should pay attention at:
- Supplier audit: A factory audit in Thailand aim to control your supplier reliability, compliance with your production requirements and manufacturing standards. These standards deal with the quality of the management of the company, social standards, environmental standards… For example to verify if your factory doesn’t employ children, I recommend to make a social audit like SA 8000, WRAP or BSCI. If you want to check your supplier compliance against environment norms, I advice you to make an ISO 14001 environmental audit .
- Inspections: Quality inspection in Thailand and Asia is decomposed in two major families: products inspections and logistics inspections. Product inspection aims to control manufactured products fit your requirements. Logistics inspection helps to check your goods are load and carried properly, in right quantities and in good conditions. To avoid the risks during your production, here are some Quality Inspection service you might need to check your production in Thailand:
- To check the quality of your logistic chain, I invite you to perform the following logistic inspection
I advise you to perform audits (social audit, environmental audit, basic audit) to check the veracity of your supplier in Thailand. Moreover, don’t forget to perform inspections (inspection of products and logistics inspection) to check the quality of your products and to check the quality of your logistic chain.
I invite you to check our different quality control services in Thailand.
I hope this article will help you to understand the quality control in Thailand. If you have any question feel free to post your question in comment.